Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

friday confessions

Confession: I knew that I was going to marry Kyle from the moment I met him.

True story.

I know this sounds cheesy, cliche, far-fetched, etc., etc.; but it is totally and completely, 100% true. Seriously.

Allow me to explain...

Back in the spring of 2007, I was a freshman in college. My friends and I went to see a production of The Rocky Horror Show on campus. I was inexplicably drawn to the actor playing Eddie. Returning home shortly thereafter for summer break, this stranger crossed my mind occasionally. There was just something about him.

Kyle as Eddie in The Rocky Horror Show
GVSU: Spring 2007

Fall 2007. My roommate at the time was in a play with "that guy who played Eddie in Rocky last semester." She thought we'd get along, so she invited him over to our apartment one Saturday night to watch Phantom of the Opera, one of his favorite movies.

From the moment he walked through the door of our apartment, I knew that my life would never be the same.

Silly pictures the night we met
GVSU: Fall 2007

As soon as our eyes met, I knew that he was the man I was going to marry. I can remember everything about that moment. What I was wearing, what he was wearing, the smell of campus housing, his unkempt beard and long hair. (He was in a play set during the Civil War.)

I don't know how I knew, I just...knew. (And have never been more certain of anything in my life.)

We spent the evening hanging out with my roommates. We talked a bit. Discussed shared interests and mutual friends. Mostly just hung out as part of a group. I was nervous. You don't just tell someone you just met that you're going to marry them.

Over the course of the next few weeks, we talked a bit more. Watched movies together. Flirted. Held hands. Nothing out of the ordinary, and yet everything felt extraordinary. On his 21st birthday, he asked me to be his girlfriend.

October 7th.

Two years from the day that this picture was taken, Kyle asked me to marry him, on the stage where we had first "met."

A picture from the early days--celebrating Jeff's birthday
Main Street Pub: Winter 2008


The proposal
GVSU: Winter 2010

We've been together for four years today, and we celebrated our two month wedding anniversary yesterday. I'm so glad he walked into my apartment and into my life that chilly fall evening. And now, I'm so honored to be his wife.
 

Our first dance as Mr. & Mrs.
St. Cecilia's, GR: August 6, 2011

Happy 25th, Kyle---To the man who always supports all of my harebrained ideas, watches the same X-Files episodes with me on repeat without complaint, and who embraces all of my many quirks---I'm so glad to be sharing this grand adventure with you.

Happy Friday, friends.

3 comments:

  1. This is sweet! Congratulations to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! What a great story :)

    (Pssst...check your email! You won my My Honey Corner giveaway...and Abbey is trying to get a hold of you! Email me at kara@sunshine-cupcakes.com if you're having issues)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is precious!

    and i'm glad to not be the only one with a poli sci degree... maybe we'll use it one day? wishful thinking. ; )

    ReplyDelete