Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

My Three Favorite Christmas Stories




If you're looking for a bit of quick reading to get you in the Christmas spirit (if you aren't already!), look no further than these short stories by a few of my favorite authors.

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

"Oh my, it's fruitcake weather!" So begins the enchanting story of a little boy named Buddy and his elderly friend. Blending Capote's signature narrative and descriptive style, it is a beautiful sentimental reflection without being sappy.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

This classic story is a perfect read all year round, but is especially fitting at Christmastime. I love going on the journey with Scrooge as he receives visits from the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present, and Future. In my humble opinion, this is Dickens at his best. 

(On a side note, if you're looking for the best movie adaptation of this classic, look no further than The Muppet Christmas Carol. Seriously.)

SantaLand Diaries by David Sedaris

In true tongue-in-cheek style, Sedaris tells the tale of his time spent as a Macy's Christmas elf. This is a fantastic account of Christmas in the retail trenches. Often hilarious and rarely sentimental, I found myself alternating between laughing aloud and cringing awkwardly. 

What are your favorite Christmas stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment