Pages

Friday, December 22, 2017

2017 Redux: 10 Good Things

In many ways, 2017 (especially the last half) was one strugglebus of a year. BUT some really wonderful things happened too, so let's talk about those. 

North Country Trail, St. Ignace, Michigan
1. I hiked/ran/snowshoed nearly 300 miles this year. 
Roughly a third of this was with my #MittenHiking friends. We've been hiking nearly every Saturday together for almost two years! I took quite a few solo hikes and deeply cherished time alone in nature. I finally returned to running on a regular basis and remembered why I enjoyed it in the first place. Movement and fresh air rejuvenate not just my body, but my soul. 

View of the Pacific Ocean from Muir Woods National Monument, California
2. I traveled to San Francisco and fell deeper in love with the West Coast. 

Kyle and I traveled to San Francisco in March and had the time of our lives. We went to the Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods, and Alcatraz. I started doing a daily recap forever ago and I really would like to get back to that eventually. But for now I'll just say that more and more, the West Coast calls to me. I'm not sure what that means yet, but I do know that when I'm there, I feel at peace. 

3. I became a vegan. 
This has been something that I've been considering for awhile and after going vegetarian last year, I decided to take the plunge into veganism. I don't want to be one of those people who goes on and on about being vegan  and evangelizes about the benefits of a plant-based diet and blahblahblah. But I will say that this is the absolutely the right choice for me and honestly, I LOVE it. 

Mt. Tam, California
4. I climbed a mountain. 
Kyle and I hiked Mt. Tamalpias in the San Francisco Bay area this spring. I'm actually really struggling to find the words to express just how much this meant to me and the joy it brought to my soul. When I hike, I am strong.

"The trees were tall, but I was taller." 
--Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

5. I went camping. 
When I was a kid, I used to go camping all the time with my parents and with extended family and it was always the highlight of my summers. It was such a huge part of my life for so long, but I think I've only camped once since graduating from high school. (So...11+ years. Woof.) This year I was fortunate enough to camp twice--once in Indiana and once on the shores of Lake Michigan in the U.P. I didn't realize how much camping is a part of me and how much I've missed it over the years. 

Lake Michigan, Chicago, Illinois
6. I saw some great theatre and concerts. 
Music and theatre have always been a huge part of my life, but in the past few years I've stepped back from experiencing them. This year, I feel like my love for them was reborn. I was able to see some of my favorite musicals on-stage. I saw productions of Ragtime and Annie in Grand Rapids, as well as the touring company of Wicked. I traveled with friends to Chicago to see my incredible college roommate and friend Arielle perform in another amazing production of Ragtime. Kyle and I saw Billy Joel perform at Wrigley Field. My friends (and husband) all put on a variety of plays, musicals, and comedy shows. Far too often I take for granted just how fortunate I am to be constantly surrounded by so many talented artists. 

Brown County State Park, Indiana

7. I traveled solo.
In August, I drove six hours south to Brown County, Indiana on a whim. I didn't take much beyond a tent, books, and my hiking boots. I've never traveled entirely alone before and it was so liberating, even just for a few days. I hiked 10 miles through the woods. I read and wrote listening to the soft patter of the rain on the roof of my tent. I sat and remembered and reflected and breathed deeply and tried to just be. 

8. I kept plants alive.
Last year, I killed a total of three succulents and I cried. This year, I vowed to turn over a new leaf. (Puns!) I've managed to keep alive a Chia pet, an aloe plant, a small succulent, hens and chicks, and a hanging basket of petunias. (Shout out to How Not to Kill Your Houseplant by Veronica Peerless!) I've found so much joy and contentment in caring for my plants. It's become one of my favorite things. 

Ionia County Airport, Michigan

9. I flew an airplane.

Kyle surprised me with a flying lesson for my birthday, thus fulfilling my lifelong dream of being Amelia Earhart. It was such an amazing and thrilling experience. One day, I hope to be able to continue lessons and eventually get my pilot's license. 

Mackinac Island & St. Ignace, Michigan

10. I turned 30. 
When I turned 25, I announced to all of my friends that I was done getting older. Instead, I was simply going to celebrate the anniversary of my 25th birthday with each successive year. As each birthday brought me closer to turning thirty, the more daunting the age seemed. In your twenties, you can blame your mistakes on being young and inexperienced. By the time you're thirty, you need to have your shit together. (Or so I thought.) However, when I woke up on my thirtieth birthday, I felt nothing but happiness and gratitude. 

I am living the life I imagined. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing. So much joy radiating in this post, and the last line! I'm so happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete