Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

#mittenhiking: Pickerel Lake

I've shared before a bit about #mittenhiking, a weekly hiking group my friends and I created where we explore trails in and around Grand Rapids. I post about it frequently on Instagram, but I want to get in the habit of sharing regularly here as well. 

I'm going to start with my favorite trail in the GR area, Pickerel Lake in Cannonsburg, Michigan. Pickerel Lake is part of the Frederic Meijer Nature Preserve, located just northeast of downtown Grand Rapids. Trails weave along the shoreline and throughout forests of pines. A recently renovated boardwalk allows you to walk along the lake and is the gateway to roughly five miles of trails. Be prepared for conquering quite a few hills, but know that you'll be rewarded with gorgeous lake views at the top!

As I mentioned, this trail is a favorite haunt of the Mitten Hikers. We've hiked it in both the spring and fall months, and I've done a few solo winter hikes. (Pro Tip: If you're hiking in the winter, be prepared for extremely icy trail conditions.)

Pickerel Lake is beautiful at any time of year, but I'm certainly looking forward to the days of more sunshine. 













1 comment:

  1. Oh my GOD. These are gorgeous photos!!!! I hike a bunch in AZ but would love to hike somewhere like this!

    ReplyDelete