Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Thankful

Note: I wrote this on Thanksgiving Eve, but in my pre-holiday excitement and current academic anxiety,  apparently forgot to hit "publish." So, without further ado, my Thanksgiving post. A week and a half late. 

**********


(source)

I'm not sure how I've found myself here in November December already, with the holiday season hovering on the horizon in full swing. This past year has truly flown by. In a few weeks, I graduate with a Master's of Library and Information Science. I have been the director of my library for nearly six months. In many ways, my life is unrecognizable from two or three years ago. And yet, many of the important things remain the same. 

I'm continually amazed by the constant ebb and flow of life; the mountains and the valleys, the highs and lows that somehow all come together to create the years and the days and the moments of our existence. And in those moments and days that stretch to weeks and months where I feel overwhelmed and unable to breathe, I am reminded, somehow, to carry on. This year has not been easy, but there is still so much to be thankful for. 

There are the "big" things: A loving and supportive family; understanding and hilarious friends; a neurotic dog who keeps me company; a home in a beautiful neighborhood; a job I love; a feeling of community; and a superhero husband who is kind, caring, and always up for an adventure. 

There are the "little" things: Reading; Instagram; Netflix; coffee; cookie butter; being outside; going out to dinner; beginning to practice yoga.

I'm looking forward to settling into a new normal in the coming months. One that involves more free evenings and weekends that are no longer held captive to homework and grad school worries. I'm looking forward to days spent growing my little library and learning more about the community I have the privilege to serve and evenings spent exploring other passions. I'm looking forward to going to the bar again on Tuesday nights; spending as much time as possible outside; reacquainting myself with my neighborhood; cooking more than just frozen meals; hiking; finally watching Breaking Bad. 

Truly, I'm grateful beyond words for the opportunities I've been given these past two years. I've learned so much and met some amazing people along the way. I've worked hard to get to this point, and so much more lies ahead of me, but I'm ready. I'm ready to close the grad school chapter and begin writing a new chapter for my little library. I'm ready to give it the full focus and commitment it deserves.

But I'm also tired. So very, very tired. Both physically and emotionally. I'm looking forward to getting myself back on track as well and learning how to balance this with my career. I'm thankful to have (finally) discovered yoga and the mindfulness that comes with it. I'm excited to return to running and to have a goal race to keep me motivated. I'm looking forward to the day when taking time for myself doesn't mean doing homework alone in a coffee shop. 

I've said it many, many times before, but it bears repeating: No one achieves anything alone. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sticking with me. Your support means more to me than you'll ever know. 

Happy holidays, friends. I'm so very thankful for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment