Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

First Year Redux: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace My Passion



A page from The Dork Diaries: Tales from a
Not-So-Fabulous Life
 by Rachel Renee Russell.

The holidays are (long) past and the sidewalks are covered  buried in snow, which means that I find myself at the start of another semester. AND the start of this semester also marks the half-way point for me in my program. I graduate in December. What?!?!

This past year has been a whirlwind to say the least. It has certainly had its ups and downs, good days and bad. There are times that it has been a struggle, but every day I'm so grateful for how far I've come. I've found my calling, my passion. I get to spend two years studying and spending time in libraries and then at the end of it, I get to work in a library. Somebody pinch me. 

Two years ago, I never would have dreamed that I would find myself here. I didn't think I had the courage or the strength to pull myself out of my dead end job, let alone imagine that I could find a career that I loved. My only regret is that I didn't come to this realization sooner. I feel like I've wasted so much time. 

In this past year, I've learned about the foundations and ethics of the librarian profession. I've strugglebussed my way through HTML and MARC records, case studies and budgets. I discovered a knack for reference and desire to provide the best library services to typically underserved populations. This semester, I'm delving deeper into the world of public libraries and working to get myself current on children's literature. Today, I will return to my roots and begin an internship position at a small, rural library. I can't wait to get my hands dirty and put into practice what I'm learning in my classes. 

This past year has certainly been a challenge, and this upcoming year promises to hold more of the same. I've worked so hard and sacrificed so much, but I would have crumbled without the support of my family and friends. They've put up with my flakiness and absence, and encouraged me through it all. 

To Morgan, Max, Victoria, Joel, Maureen, Jason, Chuck, Emily, Dani, Dave, Sean, Julia, Bridgett, John, Randy, Kayla, Betz, Rachel, Ryan, Sarah, Steve, Shannon: For buying me drinks, recommending music and podcasts to keep me going through marathon homework sessions, for checking on me and insisting that I get out. For recommending and loaning me your favorite books, taking my research surveys, and putting up with my punk-ass book jockey nonsense. For listening and encouraging and understanding. 

To the casts of 30 Rock, Frasier, Friends, Law & Order: SVU, Parks and Recreation, and The X-Files: For keeping me company into those late nights and giving my brain something else to think about besides libraries. 

To my parents: For buying me a collection of Golden Books before I was even born, reading me stories, and taking me to the library. For encouraging me to pursue my dreams, for never questioning my reading habits or telling me to put down my book. For your undying, unending, and unwavering support.

To Kyle, always: For everything. Literally. For the pots of coffee, late nights, and weekends spent doing nothing but studying. For never complaining about being a grad school widower. For wiping away my tears and giving me the courage to keep going. For believing in me always, even when I don't believe in myself. 

I'm so, so fortunate to be here. And I'm so, so fortunate to have you wonderful people at my side. "No one achieves anything alone."

2 comments:

  1. So exciting to catch you part way through your journey! Being a librarian is a dream of mine. I'll be bugging you for info one day. I also LOVE getting a peek at what you're reading and working on. Let us know how your internship goes! Keep fighting the good fight, bringing the books to the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashlie! You would make an awesome librarian. Come over to the dark side! :)

      Delete